Catch up with Alumni: Hannah Plush

Year of Graduation: 2018

Linkedin Profile: Click Here

What are you doing now that you have graduated? 

I am doing an accelerated management scheme with a FTSE 100 company in Human Resources and Communications, as part of a 2 year graduate scheme.

How did you feel after you graduated? 

I felt like I’d been working towards that point for so long and then when the moment actually arrived it seemed to have come round far too quickly and I didn’t know what to do/how to plan my next steps. It is so hard to know what you want to do for the rest of your life, but the best advice I got was that you don’t have to have everything planned out right away. People have career changes constantly throughout their lives and there is no rush to get straight onto the right path right out of university. Whilst some people may do, a lot of people won’t and that’s okay.

What advice would you give to current students from an employability perspective? 

Any experience is good experience, it doesn’t matter if you get rejected 50 times it will stand you in good stead for when the right opportunity does come around for you. Also, just be yourself because employers will know when you are being fake! Don’t just fall into the trap of saying what you think they want to hear, whilst there is a certain element of this you should also be true to yourself. You never know, you might be exactly what they are looking for.

What are your plans for the future? 

At the moment I am just focusing on working through this graduate scheme and making sure that I make the most of as many opportunities as I can. This is the only time I will be given this many opportunities in such a short space of time so I need to make the most of it.

I have a few thoughts of what I might want to do in the future, e.g. LPC or CIPD qualifications, but for now I am trying out as many job roles as I can in my grad scheme so that I can actually find out what I enjoy and what I don’t.