Lorraine Obomanu: The Legal Skills Triathlon

The Legal Skills Triathlon is an annual competition hosted by Derby Law School in conjunction with Derby and District Law Society. It consisted of eight teams of legal professionals partnered together with LLB students. Each team participated in three activities: a client interview, a negotiation and an advocacy assessment. Each team was judged on their performance and given the opportunity to receive feedback from experienced practitioners and academics.
The primary reason I applied for the competition is that I felt it would be a fantastic opportunity to develop the legal skills that I have acquired over the duration of my course. Furthermore, I believe in the importance of being proactive during a law degree. Without a doubt, the legal profession is grossly competitive, and it is pivotal to have more to offer than just a strong academic background. Thus, it is important to me that I engage in activities, such as the competition, in which can help build and enhance legal and non-legal skills.
With no prior preparation allowed for the Legal Skills Triathlon, I showed up bright and early on the day not sure what to expect. I was partnered with Emma Winfield, a trainee solicitor at Nelsons Solicitors. As soon as we received the folder with all the necessary documents briefing us about the three activities, we got straight to work. 
Working with Emma was brilliant! We were able to learn from each other through successfully collaborating ideas and finding creative solutions to the problems conveyed in the scenarios. Although, we only had a few hours to prepare for the interview, negotiation and advocacy, we managed our time effectively. Indeed, the time constraints were unrealistic and put us under significant pressure. Despite this, I was able to thrive under pressure. After each activity, Emma and I evaluated our actions, discussing what went well and how we could improve for the next activity. Consequently, Emma and I were presented with an award for being the 2nd best overall team, winning a monetary prize of £250.
I recommend LL.B students apply for the Legal Skills Triathlon. Not only is it a great addition to your CV, it is also a chance to improve practical skills and network with legal professionals.